Why does a Gas Fireplace Smell When First Turned On? 

A gas fireplace is a great way to add comfort to your home and warmth. However, it can also cause problems if it is not maintained properly. 

(Looking for “gas fireplace repair service near me“? Contact us Today!)


One of the most common problems homeowners encounter is a strange smell when they first turn their fireplace on. The odor can be caused by a number of things, including the buildup of dirt and dust inside the fireplace. This odor is often harmless and can be fixed easily by having it cleaned by a professional. 

Another common problem that can cause a fireplace to smell is the buildup of gas. While the smell is a natural part of the combustion process, it can become very dangerous if there is a gas leak. 

While most gas companies do not intentionally add a smell to the gas that comes into your home, it is still something to be aware of and take caution over. Most of the time, this odor is actually a chemical called mercaptan. 

It is a harmless substance but when it is burned, it will produce a rotten egg or sulfur-like smell. Mercaptan is added to the gas because it is a byproduct of burning propane and natural gas. 

If you have a gas fireplace, the rotten egg or sulfur-like smell is caused by the mercaptan in the gas. If you notice a strong rotten egg or sulfur-like smell in your home, it is best to evacuate the house and contact your local utility service immediately. 

The Odor from Your Fireplace

When a new gas fireplace is turned on, it can often smell a little different than usual. This is normal and will go away as soon as the fireplace cools down. If the smell persists, you should try and open windows or doors to let air in. 

A few things can cause a new gas fireplace to smell when it is first turned on: It may need proper ventilation, or it may be leaking. This odor can also be caused by an obstruction in the flue that is not allowing exhaust to escape. 

Having your fireplace serviced on a regular basis can prevent these issues from occurring, and it can help keep your home more comfortable while also keeping it safe. It is also a good idea to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. 

There are a few other things that can cause a fireplace to smell when it is first turned on, and they can be fixed as well. These include the buildup of dust and other dirt inside the fireplace, which can be prevented by having it cleaned on a regular basis. 

Soot can also cause a gas fireplace to smell. It is a common occurrence and can be resolved by having it cleaned on a regular basis. 

It is a common occurrence and can often be prevented by having it cleaned on a weekly or monthly basis. If the odor doesn’t disappear after cleaning, it may be a sign of a gas leak.