How to Bypass a Wall Switch on a Gas Fireplace? 

If you have a gas fireplace, it’s important to know how to turn it on and off. Many people love the warmth and coziness that a gas fireplace adds to their home, but they can also be dangerous when left on during power outages or for too long. 

(Looking for concrete fireplace repair? Contact us today!)

The first step to taking care of your fireplace is to ensure that the wall switch is functioning properly. Most of these switches are simple to use, and they work by sending an electrical signal to the pilot light on your fireplace to open the valves that control the flame. 

Once you’ve located the switch, remove it with a flat screwdriver and check for loose wire connections. If you find that there’s a loose connection, you’ll need to replace it with a new one. 

You may also need to replace the switch if the connection between it and your fireplace’s gang box is broken or disconnected. In this case, you’ll need to install a new switch that can handle the millivolts needed by the gas fireplace’s thermopile and controls. 

If you are not sure whether or not you need a new switch, it’s best to consult with an electrician before beginning any repair projects on your fireplace. They will be able to tell you if your switch needs replacement or not, and they can also help you locate the correct switch for your home. 

When installing the switch, make sure to use a flat screw to connect it to your gang box and a wire to run to the fireplace’s gas valve. This way, you’ll be able to make sure that your switch is functioning properly and you’ll have no issues turning on the fireplace after you install it. 

Depending on the model of your fireplace, the switch for it can be almost like a light switch, with an on/off or igniter button and buttons to adjust the height of the flame to a “High/Low” setting for the fireplace. You should also be able to find a control panel for the fireplace that allows you to set the temperature and the amount of fire that it can emit. 

Some of these wall switches can be a little difficult to spot. They often have a cover plate with flat screws that attach them to the wall. These cover plates can be removed with a flat screwdriver to reveal the switch itself. 

Once you have the switch out, inspect it for loose wires and a damaged wire lead. You should be able to see a thin, 18-gauge wire on the front of the switch and thicker wires on the back. 

You should also be able to see the terminals for the wires that it’s connected to. These terminals are usually labeled with TH and TH/TP. 

If the terminals are not labeled, you can use a jumper wire to test for a bad connection. Using this method, you can identify the bad connection by seeing that the wire is twisted and bent.