What Causes the Odor of Burning Plastic in Gas Fireplaces? 

When you open your fireplace to light it up, the odor of burning plastic can be overwhelming. It’s not something you want to smell, and it can be scary to know there is a problem. It can be a good idea to investigate this odor carefully and get it fixed as soon as possible. 

(Looking for an “installer ventless gas fireplace“? Contact us Today!)

There are several different reasons that a gas fireplace can smell like burning plastic. Some of these reasons include air quality issues, paint and materials that are burning, and damaged parts of your fireplace insert. 

The Most Common Cause of Burning Plastic Odors in Gas Fireplaces

One of the most common causes of a gas fireplace’s bad smell is air quality issues. This can be caused by many different things, but it’s typically a simple issue that can be addressed easily. 

The first thing you should do is to ventilate the room and allow fresh air to circulate around it. This will help to remove any lingering odors and get the air quality up to par. 

If the odor persists even after you’ve vented it out, the problem might be with your ventless gas fireplace insert. This can be caused by a number of factors, such as a faulty circuit board or a humidifier nozzle that has melted. It’s important to have your insert professionally inspected by a technician in order to determine what the problem is. 

Another common cause of this odor is the presence of mold or mildew in your home. You can also have your fireplace cleaned by a professional to rid the area of this problem. 

It’s not uncommon for a gas fireplace to have a chemical odor when it first starts up. This is called “off-gassing.” It’s normal, and it shouldn’t last more than a few hours. 

Most chemical smells from a gas fireplace are harmless, but if they linger or get stronger, it may indicate that your unit isn’t burning correctly. Incomplete combustion can lead to dangerous chemicals, such as carbon monoxide, which can harm your health. 

This is why it’s important to hire a professional for your gas fireplace maintenance and service. They’ll be able to identify and fix any problems with your appliance before they turn into major issues. 

There are a few different ways to clean the inside of your fireplace and get rid of this burning plastic odor. You can either clean the interior surfaces by using a vacuum cleaner or a steam cleaning machine, or you can have your gas fireplace professionally cleaned. 

You can also use a special odor eliminator that will remove the bad odor from your fireplace without affecting your indoor air quality. This product can be expensive, but it’s worth the cost for peace of mind. 

If the odor of burning plastic isn’t a result of a problem with your fireplace, it could be a sign that your house is leaking gas. You should check all of your ventilation openings to make sure there isn’t a problem, and you should call the fire department or a certified gas professional to have them check out your home.