Why Does My Gas Fireplace Smell Like Burning Plastic? 

If you’ve just installed a new gas fireplace, or you’ve bought an electric one and are experiencing a burning plastic odor, there are steps you can take to remedy the situation. If you are experiencing an odor that doesn’t seem to disappear in a few hours, you should call an expert to assess the problem. A gas fireplace may be releasing toxic fumes, or may be melting foreign objects that are causing the smell. 

(Searching in Google “Arizona Fireplace Technician“? Contact us today!)

Gas fireplaces are a common type of appliance that is used to heat up the home. They have a vent system that releases the fumes outdoors. While this is a great convenience, the odor can be a serious issue. The main gas valve should be shut off to stop the odor from accumulating. It’s also a good idea to have a carbon monoxide detector on your property. This will alert you if a leak is detected. 

When you first turn on your fireplace, you may notice a strong odor of burning plastic. This is usually due to the paint or chemicals that were used to install it. Most of the time, this odor will dissipate after a few hours. However, if it persists, it could be a sign that you have a leak. 

To prevent this from happening, you should regularly check your fireplace’s vent system. There is a chance that your vent system may be clogged, or there may be debris in the flue. You may want to replace filters or have your fireplace professionally cleaned. Also, keep an eye out for any signs of damage, such as a missing damper or a dysfunctional one. 

Another reason for a bad odor from a fireplace is poor air quality. While there are some harmless culprits, most odors can be controlled by ventilation. Having windows open during the off-gassing period is a good way to ensure that the room is properly ventilated. In addition, you can purchase a room air purifier for use in your home. 

Sometimes, the odor can be an indication of a broken part of the gas fireplace insert. For example, a broken gas valve can cause a bad odor when you start using it. Likewise, an oil burner can cause a burning plastic odor. 

Another common occurrence of a gas fireplace’s odor is the buildup of dust, debris, or decomposing materials in the flue. This can be a problem if you have a fungus or dust allergy, or if you have animals in the house. Before you turn on your fireplace, you should open up the windows to get the air moving in the room. 

If you have a strong gas fireplace odor, you should immediately turn off the gas. Don’t use any harsh cleaning chemicals. Instead, call an expert and let them know your fireplace has a bad odor. 

A burning plastic odor from your fireplace is not dangerous, but it can be an irritant. Some of the things that you can do to solve this problem are to inspect the fireplace’s socket, open windows, and contact a heating technician.