Why Won’t My Propane Fireplace Stay Lit? Things You Can Do Yourself 

Several factors can affect your fireplace’s performance. These include a thermocouple, pilot light, and gas pressure. A professional technician can inspect your fireplace for issues. However, there are a few things you can do yourself. 

(Searching in Google “Phoenix gas fireplace repair“? Contact us today!)

The thermocouple is a temperature sensor that tells the gas valve to open and stay open. The device is located right next to the pilot light. When the thermocouple is working correctly, it should be reading 25 millivolts or higher. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to replace it. The best part is that replacing it is relatively cheap. 

The pilot light is the light that ignites the gas. It should be light enough to allow you to light the fireplace. It should also be blue in color, which indicates that it is functioning correctly. If the pilot isn’t lighting, it may be faulty or blocked by dust or soot. The pilot may also be blown out by a strong draft. A faulty pilot light can make it difficult to light and may even cause your fireplace to shut down. 

The gas valve is also a component that needs to be checked. It can be a good idea to call a professional if you have any questions. Gas leaks can cause fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. Keeping the valve clean can prevent these problems. A professional should be able to make quick adjustments to recalibrate the manometer. 

Another thing you can do is clean the pilot tubing. It may contain air pockets, which will make it difficult to restart your fireplace. If you can’t remove the air, then you may have to replace the valve. You can clean the line by running gas through the hose. However, you should make sure to do it in a well-ventilated area. This is especially important if you live in a rural area. 

Another item that should be on your checklist is a thermopile. This device can be found on some newer gas fireplace models. The thermopile is a small metal probe that is connected directly to the wall switch. It can be tested and replaced if needed. It’s a small device, so make sure it is functioning properly before trying to replace it. 

The oxy pilot is an atmospheric sensing device that shuts off the gas valve when it detects low oxygen levels. This device is important for protecting against carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also an important piece of equipment because it can change the shape of the flame when low oxygen levels are detected. 

The main gas control valve should also have a thermopile on it. This device is the most important part of your gas fireplace. It is a good idea to have your technician test your fireplace and replace it if needed. 

The oxy pilot, the thermocouple, and the pilot light are all good examples of devices that are likely to have a problem. The best way to determine which one you have is to have a professional look at it.